A Balloon Debate (Written by Yumna dweik)

2:27 PM

On a very high balloon there were 3 people in it, Mozart, Gavur Mumin and Yumna dweik.
Two of these 3 people should jump from the balloon to let the last one live.
So what are you going to do is to vote for the most useful character from the 3 characters.

   Mozart
Ladies and gentlemen, I am confident about your knowledge of myself and if one miraculously doesn't know me, I am sure they have heard my name at least once in their lives.
And unless one has been living under a rock for his whole life, allow me to present this humble presentation of myself.
Born in Salzburg, in my childhood. I was already a talented five year old child on the keyboard and violin. I composed music at the age of five before the European royalty. When I was 17, I was engaged as a musician at the Salzburg court, but I grew restless of my position, because it was just not enough to my high standard, I was dismissed from my Salzburg position, I stayed in the capital where I gained fame but not enough, in those years of my staying in the capital, I composed many well known symphonies, made concerts and operas, and after that I rose to my well known fame.
I shall now share with you some of my known and greatest achievements and works; to start, the soundtrack to the 1984 film, Amadeus, was one of the most successful classical music albums ever, I created symphonies between the ages of 8 and 19. A great achievement you cannot deny, right?
I was a child star, one of the greatest pianists in my era and the most famous composer in all of Europe by the age of 20. I could write music before I could even write words! I could even listen to music once and write it down piece by piece without any change or fault! can you believe that?
Even Gustav Mahler was amazed by my works so much and was tied so to me that his last word was 'Mozart'
I have thousands and even millions of fans and devoted listeners, my music has a special touch that you can find in them a classical magic. It's used in ceremonies and weddings. I am sure that who has a taste in my music has a unique and special self although it may be hidden and disguised.
And now, let us talk about my competitors' great achievements. Let us first take a look at dear Gavur Mumin.
What has our brave hero accomplished in his humble life? Noble acts? but shall we dive deeper and think thoroughly?
He was a workaholic, addicted to his work so much that he divorced his wife when ordered by his Greek commander to prove his loyalty. He did not object or do anything to stop the hanging of his daughter. come on what kind of men puts his work even if it was for the country before his family? if he loves his wife, how can he divorced her?!
And what has our dear Yumna done? what greatness has she done to the world? Created Agatha Christie movies? won Oscars? I concede that there is a creativity, but creating after creating and making movies over and over, things just become repetitive. What good is that dear? while there is thousands of directors around the world, how can you think that you are a special person?
My audience, you see why I deserve to live at this balloon and why my competitors not. People will live forever in my music, and for that, I must gain your votes to save my life.
Gavur Mumin
Ladies and gentlemen, I am the first traitor in my homeland, and the last champion in our independence ,let me start my painful story.
I was living happily with my family in Selanek "Turkish land", but Greeks broke into the land, and as a Turkish solider, I fought them bravely with my friends, I worshiped ottomans and my commander until I saw him selling his home land for Greeks!
and my penalty for watching this was to die, as they thought.
At this time I fainted; my commander thought I was dead, so he just let me and went away. When I woke up, I found myself as a captive by Greeks, they told me that my family, my mother, my wife and my sons were dead! that was the tragedy.
I stayed with the Greeks for 7 years, and I knew that my fate was death, but while there was no one with me, and while my soul has dead, I was waiting for this day.
But.. a friend and solider at the same time gave the plan to disposal, he was a very brave friend, may his soul rest in peace, I killed him!
the plan was that I would help captives to runaway, but at the same time I will tattle about them to the Greek's commander and I will kill them, by which I could win his confidence, and then work with them, but for Turks!
And after seven years, I turned my back to my lovely country as a land's traitor. My family were alive! when I saw them, I was the happiest human on the earth, they are my soul, my whole life, but they were not as happy as me, because they saw me as a traitor, they didn't believe that I am the same Gavur, their looks at me were different, like if they were asking me how did you change? they denied me, that was the most hurtful part!  
to the people who died for our independence and to the people who fought to the death in Izmir "Turkish land", even to the people who spat in my face, whose words, I admit hurt me more than the bullets I gained in the towns I fought in.
But what was there to do? I was under tight circumstances that prevented me from clearing my name and explaining myself.
I do not fear death, rather I fear dying without having explained myself and I fear dying with the country I fought for believing I was traitor for the homeland.
What about my competitors? did they suffer as me? what about Mozart's achievement, creating music right? just that? nothing else, are you sure? well, Mozart said that the ones who listen to his music are great and special people, but.. should a person who listens to your music to be special? there are thousands and millions of great people, but believe me not all of them have listened to your music Mozart, what I want to say is that your achievement is pointless my friend!
And Dear Yumna, you have recreated Agatha Christie's movies, that is good but what's new? I mean you just turned the written to a visible thing right?
And I am sorry for saying that but your achievement is much more bad than good one, you just made young and children more addicted to technology and we all know what that is doing.
therefore my audience I want to win your votes.
Yumna Dweik
A Palestinian director that suffered from her society to do what she loves.
Born in Hebron, at the city that has very intense and strong traditions, a lot of families prevent their daughters to finish their study when the girl reaches the age of marriage, and most of families don't let their daughters finish university outside the city, and almost there is no family sent their daughter to study outside the country itself.
In my childhood, I was interested in how movies made, my wish was to see behind the scenes, and by the age of 14, I decided to be a director.
at that age I was just a little child, so everyone I saw, I told them that I want to be a director, I remember very well that there was no one who encouraged me at all, even my parents, they said that "you are still child and you do not know what you want", but I did not give up, Conversely, I held on to my dream very well. But what was really mischance is that there is no university at all in Palestine has a directing major, because simply we don't have Palestinian cinema, so I will have to finish my study abroad to be a director, to be more precise, I would love to finish it abroad, because travelling was the most perfect thing for me.
I spent 2 years trying to convince my father into letting me study abroad. and finally he agreed, My mom and I went to Turkey and I studied directing at "Mimar Sinan" university, and then I became a director, I turned to my country for one year and when I got married I went to live in LA which I could do my job comfortably.
when I was child, Agatha Christie was my idol, so I merged my childhood inspire and dream and I created Agatha Christie movies.
For the Palestinian girls, for Agatha Christie's lovers, even for the ones who don't love reading books, and lastly, for the ones who depressed me and my dream, I say here I am.
I won 11 Oscars and 1 Golden Globes for my movies,  I made 60 movies for her novels. I was the master of directing police movies, the most famous movie was "the moving fingers". It reached 3 billion viewers, and from it I rose to be a well known director.  
And now I am going to move to my competitors.
Let me start with Mozart. My dear Mozart, I admit I really love your music, but what about your sister?
Do you know my audience that Mozart has a very talented sister that she was some of times more talented than him! and do you know that her family prevented her to continue with creating music when she reached the age of marriage? come on! how can you be so racists like this. As a woman, I refute this, because it is just the unfairness itself!
And my dear Gavur, you chose losing a daughter for the independence of your homeland and for your cause. You chose your country over your life. Do you truly believe the danger of this situation?
I must concede, the love of a country is great and worth sacrificing self's life for, but do you truly have the right to sacrifice a life that is not yours, to be more precise, your daughter's?
Is it really worth losing the love of a daughter?
Well let me break this down to you, Mister. If you are ready to sacrifice your daughter, who is –in case you have forgotten- from your blood and bones!
Well let me tell you a very important thing you must put it in your head:
Who knows not the love of a person, will never know the love of a country.
and that for my audience I will be happy to have your votes to save my life.
"To direct is to act".

Yumna Dweik 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images